Cheddar reservoir was constructed in the 1930s to make better use of the water from the springs in Cheddar Gorge, which had first been used as a source in 1922. The lake has a capacity of 6 million cubic meters (1,350 million gallons). Some of the water from the reservoir is pumped to Bristol for treatment at the Barrow Treatment works with the rest being treated at the Cheddar works to supply the surrounding area.
In 1947 it became the first supply reservoir in Britain used for sailing. Since then, other recreational activities have been developed like coarse fishing and wind-surfing.
Access. Whilst the path/road around Cheddar Reservoir is not a Public Footpath, Bristol Water does permit access for people to walk the perimeter. We ask that dogs are kept on a lead and that all rubbish and dog waste is taken from the site. The eastern half of the reservoir - the part that runs to the sailing club - is hard standing. The other half is gravel based.
Due to the low water levels the steps near the water could be slippery due to algae .please approach with caution.